If I asked you to Google “CFS” all you would see pop in your search would be articles about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. This is a very frustrating and often debilitating syndrome for those that experience this syndrome. The major symptom is significant fatigue that will not go away. When diagnostic tests are run for anemia, chemical imbalances, Lyme disease, other infections and other “identifiable” causes of fatigue, nothing specific shows up. The cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is still unknown although some researchers believe a virus may be responsible. Others feel the major reason is psychological stress on the neurotransmitter system.
I am going to steal the acronym “CFS” and bring this to a syndrome impacting many more people than Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I am referring to an entity I am seeing in the majority of my patients: Covid Fatigue Syndrome. This “CFS” is not referring to people that have fatigue after experiencing Covid. I am using the CFS to describe the “fatigue” we are all experiencing from:
- Not traveling in the ways we like
- Wearing masks all of the time
- Constantly reading about the pandemic
- Seeing all the strife and division in our country about vaccine mandates, mask mandates, lockdowns etc.
- Believing we may have Covid everytime we sneeze or have a sniffle
- Worrying about our elderly, “at risk” family and friends
Lots more bullet points may be added to this list. Feel free to add your “fatigue” aspects of the pandemic.